WHO WE ARE
An interfaith grassroots network of households, institutions, and congregations, the South Dakota Peace & Justice Center applies spiritual values to peace-making and social change through advocacy, education, & action. We choose work which challenges unjust institutional policies and practices; addresses ethical and moral concerns within our society; and builds a society based on human dignity, fairness, cooperation, & respect for the Earth.
We are a nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization, registered with the state of South Dakota. All contributions are tax deductible. Approximately 80% of our funding comes from members, denominations, and congregations. We have one paid staff member, the Executive Director (who is also responsible for this blog), and a Board of Directors that reflects our diverse membership (see below).
For more information, or to make a contribution, visit our official website or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
THE WORK WE DO
The SD Peace & Justice Center:
- Provides credible information and resources to SD communities on peace and justice issues.
- Connects and supports a coalition devoted to social justice.
- Gives a unified voice to social change activists throughout South Dakota and the Oceti Sakowin (Seven Council Fires)
Founded in 1979, the Peace & Justice Center grew out of the efforts of a group of faith leaders devoted to social justice. We are the only organization in South Dakota that supports a coalition of organizations dedicated to the nonviolent principles of peace and justice.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- President: Rosalie Little Thunder – Rapid City/Rosebud – email@example.com
- Vice President: Mary Jo Farrington – Rapid City – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Beth L’Amour – Brookings – email@example.com
- Secretary: Leona Wieland – Sioux Falls – firstname.lastname@example.org
- At-Large: Jim Petersen – Rapid City – email@example.com
- Jim Ackerman – Pierre – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Caitlin Collier – Vermillion – email@example.com
- Denny Davis – Burbank/Vermillion –firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fr. Leonard Kayser – Yankton – email@example.com
- Karl Kroger – Pierre – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maria Birch – Chamberlain – email@example.com
- Marilyn Lone Hill – Sioux Falls – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Thompson – Colman – email@example.com
- Yvonne Whitman – Sioux Falls – firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive Director: Tom Emanuel – Vermillion – email@example.com